Saturday, March 27, 2010
Mike Butler: One voice against the ETS
Banner headlines predicting climate doom led me to research the issue. The results were published in Investigate Magazine last year. (“The Really Inconvenient Truth: Exposing the climate change doomsayers”, July 2008) The facts are:
1. There never has been proof that emissions caused by human activity are causing global warming.
2. Last December’s “climategate” publication of emails leaked or hacked from the University of East Anglia was the latest in a series of scandals over the highly selective use of data to claim that man-made global warming is causing catastrophic climate change.
3. Since New Zealand contributes 0.2% of total global emissions, it doesn’t really matter what New Zealand does regarding emissions.
4. Temperature measurements using ground-based thermometers, balloon-mounted radiosondes, and satellite-mounted microwave sensing units all show that there has been no global warming since 1998. In fact, planet Earth is in a cooling cycle, which is more risky to human existence, since it becomes more difficult to grow food in a cool, arid climate.
5. Carbon dioxide emissions have increased while the temperature has decreased, which is the exact opposite of the global warming hypothesis. This in itself should be enough to disprove the theory.
Boscawen noted that French President Nicolas Sarkozy announced that France is abandoning its intention to introduce a carbon tax in France, because the French people have risen up in protest. They have realised that France would be foolish to tax its people when other countries in Europe are not.
“Our three major trading partners - Australia, China, and the United States - are not taxing their people or increasing the price of electricity for their citizens”, he said.
How long is it going to take members of this parliament to realise that the ETS is a costly mistake, based on nothing, that will achieve nothing other than an extra revenue stream for the government?
at 5:35 PM