Pages

Thursday, August 17, 2023

Derek Mackie: Ain't No Solar When She's Gone



A modern-day reworking of the Bill Withers classic, Ain’t no Sunshine, celebrating the “wonders” of renewable power generation 




 Ain't no solar when she's gone 
Got no power when she's away 
Harsh reality’s just dawned 
The grid ain't something to be scorned 
Anytime she goes away 

 
Wonder this time where she's gone 
Behind the clouds or close of day 
Thank heaven fossil fuels rock on 
Or this house won’t be no home 
Anytime she goes away 


 And I charge, I charge, I charge, I charge
…. my battery up 
But I get, I get, I get, I get 
…. less juice each time, wassup? 
I know, I know, I know, I know 
…. got hard decisions ahead 
Should I run, I run, I run, I run 
…. the lights or fridge instead 
Oh, ain’t no solar when she’s go-o-one 
Doo…doo…doo…do 



 Now the winter’s come along 
Sun’s real low, her rays so weak 
My solar panels look all wrong 
White and frosty, power long gone 
Next door’s gas heating sure is strong 


 I hope, I hope, I hope, I hope 
…. the Sun’ll shine bright 
And I pray, I pray, I pray, I pray 
…. for an eclipse at night 
Emissions, they say, they say, they say 
…. have left the Planet half-dead 
But I wish, I wish, I wish, I wish 
…. I’d planted trees instead 


 Oooooh, ain't no solar when she's gone 
  And this house just ain't no home  
   Anytime she goes away 
    … dah… dah… dah… da    
     Rain or cloudy, it's so grey 
      … dah… dah… dah… da  
       When it’s dark, ‘bout half the day 
        … dah… dah… dah… da 
        Anytime …. she …. goes…. away 


Derek Mackie is a former geologist with a keen interest in current affairs and a penchant for satire.

No comments: