Pages

Monday, September 14, 2026

Kerre Woodham: What are you looking for from this Election?


With just 57 days to go till election day, which is not long at all, most parties are starting to come out with policies. Even Labour. Capital gains tax and free GP visits seems like an age ago, but at least they came out with something. Te Pāti Māori, major constitutional reform by entrenching Te Tiriti into lawmaking, so they've sort of rustled up a couple of election promises. ACT and New Zealand First are giving their party faithful more of the same. ACT are dishing up getting rid of the Treaty, New Zealand First are doling out sanctions against migrants – so far, so appealing to those who are already there. With National, there's nothing to see here, more of the same, stick with us, we'll come right. Look, the economy's improving already, while firing shots across Labour's bow with misleading attack ads around tax.

A feeling I'm picking up, and I'm sure you have too, is that people are getting sick and tired of politics and politicians, which is not great with 57 days to go until we make a really important decision about the direction of our country. There seems to be a pox on all their houses sentiment. As a texter put it, they're going to rule out the parties they simply cannot vote for and put a tick next to the party that remains. It's not really a positive vote, it's more a "the others are worse, so I suppose I'll just have to vote for you". So 57 days to go, less than two months. What issues matter most to you? Have you firmed up your vote? Have you danced around the minor parties and thought, oh well, maybe, maybe. The two main parties haven't really delivered much over the past few years, past few elections. Have a little flirt with the minor parties, no, and then you decide no, I'm not going to. No, they look new and shiny, but really, it's all insubstantial. I'll go back to the main parties.

Are there issues that are important to you that you feel one party over another is going to deliver on? Are you going to be voting for yourself or for New Zealand? Do you have the luxury of being able to look at a vote for the wider community or are you just hanging in there by the skin of your teeth and voting for yourself? Are any of you so fed up that you simply won't vote? And I suppose more to the point, if you want to vote, have you made sure you're on the roll because you won't be able to do it on the day?

There's a lot of you that will swing left to right and right to left – have you reached a level of dissatisfaction with both the major parties that you're ready to join forces with one of the smaller ones? There'll be a flurry, I imagine, of policies coming out, but 57 days to go is leaving it a bit late for Labour. Chris Hipkins said at a public meeting, the first one that he's done for the entire election campaign, and it was only a few days ago, he said, I'm just getting warmed up. Just starting. Has he left his run too late? Or are you still waiting to hear something that might energise you, that might make you think yes, I feel really positive about putting this tick next to this party, I feel certain that they have the answers, that their way of improving New Zealand is the right way.

Kerre McIvor, is a journalist, radio presenter, author and columnist. Currently hosts the Kerre Woodham mornings show on Newstalk ZB - where this article was sourced.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I will be vothing for Act because they and nz fiirst are the only centrist parties. They support everyone being equal in nz, stand up for western democracy and call our country New Zealand. The left want all that gone. I think David Seymour stands up for what is right and moral despite all the hate and nastiness from the looney left, including the cult like media who grill him at parliament like HE is the enemy. The only other politician that I can recall with such moral fortitude was Winston Churchill.

Anonymous said...

If Seymour was in the National Party he’s be prime minister already. Electorate vote National, party vote ACT, the only voting that makes sense.

Anonymous said...

Kerry, I want democracy restored so that we are all equal again, the Treaty is scrapped, and the Tribunal binned, and all the privileges gained by Maori taken away.

Anonymous said...

Hopefully, Kerry, after the election you and your cohort in the MSM will actually speak up about the travesty of the destruction of democracy in NZ, instead of following your editors, and owner's racist policies.

Speak your mind, listen to the room, understand why so many are so pissed off with the Maorification of NZ.

Anonymous said...

Kerre, why on earth would anyone vote for one or more of the cults that desperately want the power to control this country? The last 30-40 years have made it chrystal clear that doing the same thing time after time, and getting the same undesirable result, is indeed a form of political insanity. Most of us are yet to perceive that. But whoever wins the Treasury benches this time, you can guarantee the slope will continue downhill.

Anonymous said...

Kerry, where has it been stated that "ACT are dishing up getting rid of the Treaty"?

Post a Comment

Thank you for joining the discussion. Breaking Views welcomes respectful contributions that enrich the debate. Please ensure your comments are not defamatory, derogatory or disruptive. We appreciate your cooperation.