Pages

Saturday, September 14, 2024

Guest Post: Ancestors and the Culture Clash

A Guest Post by Sisyphus posted on The Goodoil

For an upcoming university course, one of the requirements is a stay on a local marae in order to get properly acquainted with Māori culture. None of us in the course are ourselves Māori, yet we must fulfill this requirement to pass.

One of the main requirements is that we perform a mihi. Which, if you don't know, has you list out a number of things, including your spiritual mountain, river, boat (which your family brought to NZ), tribe and a number of other things, ending with your name.

Obviously, for those of us who are not Māori, this exercise is slightly difficult, with everyone opting for some arbitrary mountain or river near where we were born. It is because, for us, the land around where we grew up is not a central factor in shaping who we are.

In all honesty, I don't think it necessarily is for Māori people either.

The need to think about all this and explain it all got me thinking about the benefit and purpose of it. What use is this information to the Māori people of the marae I am visiting?

I could understand that, in pre-European New Zealand, if a tribe saw a visitor they did not recognise, there is utility in learning from which part of the country they come and which tribe they are a part of. This is a good way to ensure they aren’t an enemy and to understand the purpose of their visit as well as honour whichever deities they must.

But at what point do you disregard traditions in which the original purpose of the tradition is no longer served?

What it now seems is the people at the marae almost want to hear my classmates and I say they are not from New Zealand. One of our ‘teachers’ says in his mihi that his ancestors are from England and Ireland, even though he was born here.

This feels like an attempt at forcing others into feeling some guilt. It separates us into two groups, those who may be ‘indigenous’ and those who are not. I can see this as creating a de facto class system based upon the ancestors of the person – something which cannot be changed and is, in a very multi-ethnic society like ours, very complicated.

The way I think about myself is that of an individual. I also do not think of myself as English, or Irish or wherever the hundreds of people who are my ancestors came from 200 years ago (200 years is approximately eight generations: eight generations back you have 256 great-great-great-great-great-great grandparents. How on earth can these people be relevant to me?).

I consider myself (as an individual) as indigenous to New Zealand. I was born here, originate from here and only occur here. I am a native of New Zealand, as much as everyone else who was ever born here. Another nation is also not in any of my families living memory – New Zealand is it.

This may sound needlessly inflammatory and radical, but I do not like feeling as though I am a lesser or guilty class, simply by virtue of people who came before me.

This idea fundamentally is Marxist in nature. If you take Marxism as a tactic, not an ideology, we can read it as a tactic to separate a country into two distinct groups, pitting one against the other. In this case, it is Māori vs non-Māori.

I see it as the great achievement of the West to have done away with this attitude. We champion the idea that everyone is free and equal at birth.

Yet in New Zealand, we are left placing a great importance on incorporating this part of Māori culture into our lives, which sees that you can be judged on the tribe you come from, your ancestors and even the mountain you grow up near. It posits that these are important facts of your current character.

There is nothing wrong with this sort of thing as a historical line of study – it is always interesting to see how cultures developed. But to suggest this is the way we should go in New Zealand – that this is a superior or even equal way of doing things – flies in the face of our liberal ideals.

I want to be judged on my actions, not my ancestors.

9 comments:

anonymous said...

Outrageous.
For a university ( funded by tax payers) to impose this sort of compulsory course on non-Maori students is akin to the Supreme Court giving itself the right to interpret Parliament's laws.

Political ideology , anti-equality and arrogance are the driving forces.

Will the VC of this university clearly state her personal commitment to this step?

Will the Ministers ( for Tertiary Education and Education) taek action to stop this overreach of academic authority?

Will non-Maori students protest as their status as equal citizens has been violated?

Or are all these people intimidated pawns in a bigger political game?

Anonymous said...

It is important to let everyone know about this, especially prospective students. And the idiots in charge wonder why enrolment numbers are down? Many years ago we were made to do the same thing when I worked for a local council and I was very anti about it as we had no choice. It has to be stopped. No one can explain the purpose of it because they won't say it's Marxism.
MC

Basil Walker said...

I concur with your post . How can anybody claim to be superior and be indigenous when they name the boat that bought them to NZ? Why should it be a prerequisite is the compelling question ?
I certainly have no desire to see NZ segregated and we have to fight like hell to ensure NZ is not a modern apartheid country. Study hard .

Anonymous said...

Agree: Erica Stanford must be dragging the chain on resetting all this nonsense and ridding us all of this indoctrination - Everyone with children in the 'system' need to get off their backsides and lobby this government to get this straightened out!

Barend Vlaardingerbroek said...

Re: my mihi, no problem at all.
My mountain is Vaalserberg - hardly a mountain but the rest of Holland is as flat as a pancake so it'll have to do.
My river is the Scheldt and if you don't pronounce that properly with a gutsy guttural 'g' sound I'll be very offended.
My waka was the 'Seven Seas', and old converted 1930s small aircraft transporter that carried Dutch migrants to NZ and Aus from the late 1940s to the early 1960s.
My tribe are the Germanics. My whakapapa includes Herman the German who kicked the Romans' arse when they invaded Germania. (We ended up being kicked even harder but we'll forget about that bit.)
My name is Barend Vlaardingerbroek and you'd better make sure you say that properly too.

Anonymous said...

What a rort. Compulsory marae visits is snouts in the trough, money for jam, a complete and utter scam. I’m a New Zealander born and bred but Maori culture is not my culture and te reo is not my language. If it’s your culture and language, fill your boots, but don't ram it down my throat and, like many Nzers, I’m getting a tad sick of funding it.

Anonymous said...

'as creating a de facto class system based upon the ancestors'

- yes, that is exactly what it is designed to do.

The last Labour government created and curated this division and the academics and MSM promote it ad nauseum as their tactic.

Not one individual should have to do a compulsory course in cultural studies for any qualification unless that is the subject of said course.

Anything else in indoctrination.

Anonymous said...

As one who has twice been on overnight stays on a marae (via a university course) I have to say neither gave me much appreciation of how Maori lived traditionally. The local people (just a handful) were very warm and did their best, but how could they convey centuries of tribal existence via a very long and unintelligible recital of whakapapa from an old man, excellent (wholly European) food, and sleeping on the floor (oh my, no novelty) Face it folks, the only way ( imperfect) to learn how actual Maori lived traditionally is to study the writings of those who came to this land while there were people living in their old ways. I keep wondering if there are real Maori scholars who retain 'the knowledge', but understandably keep it close to their chests to retain its validity?

Anonymous said...

Indeed! Martin Luther King jr would have been more than disappointed - for well over half a century later and his 'dream' still not fulfilled. But hat's what the Left's pro-regressive thinking achieves. Shame on them, and time for Minister Stanford to act.