Pages

Saturday, August 31, 2024

Derek Mackie: And I'm feelin' screwed!









Birds flying high; kiwi, you know how I feel 
Sun in the sky; fog, you know how I feel 
Breeze driftin' by; doldrums, you know how I feel 
It's a woke dawn…. it's a woke day…. it's a woke life…. 
For me - [cause I ain’t an inclusive minority] 
    And I'm feelin’ screwed! 


Fishin’ coastally; first ask iwi, that’s the deal 
River running free; a living being, yes for real 
Drag queens at the library; now that’s a queer ordeal 
It's a woke dawn…. it's a woke day…. it's a woke life…. 
For me - [cause I ain’t thinking progressively] 
    And I'm feelin’ screwed! 

 
Meetings lasting too much time; karakias they’re to blame 
Town names get redefined; the news and weather’s not the same 
Once New Zealand felt like mine; now we all play the Maori game 
It's a woke dawn…. it's a woke day…. it's a woke life…. 
For me - [cause I’m the wrong kind of ethnicity] 
    And I'm feelin’ screwed! 


Treaties can be changed; interpretation is the key 
Ceding sovereignty sounds strange; partnership’s user friendly 
The past can be exchanged; write your own take on history 
It's a woke dawn…. it's a woke day…. it's a woke life…. 
For me - [cause I agree with the real Treaty] 
    And I'm feelin’ screwed! 


The Crown, it lacks appeal; tribal rule’s their perfect dream 
Co-governance with zeal; object to it and hear them scream 
A one-Maori-three-vote deal;  that’s what they really mean 
It's a woke dawn…. it's a woke day…. it's a woke life…. 
For me - [so been checking my passport validity] 
    And I'm feelin’ screwed! 

    Yeah, I'm feelin' screwed!


Derek Mackie is a former geologist with a keen interest in current affairs and a penchant for satire.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Satire mirrors truth - I'm feeling screwed too.

Anonymous said...

We are being screwed. I used to do all these mystery shopper type jobs for money, but they stopped picking me so I asked why and was told they now have to select more diverse racial groups. The forms would ask for ethnicity and I always ticked other and then wrote " new zealander" so that must have disqualified me. Things are getting too nuts. I also have checked my passport expiry.

Richard said...

No Mr Mackie has no talent. Woke is a stupid term copied from the terminally divided US to as a put down of anyone who thinks differently to the untalented Mr Mackie. When he says tribal rule is "their" perfect dream he is referring to the entire Maori race in NZ. Satire is meant to be humorous - there is no humour in Mr Mackie's crude racism. If Mr Mackie is retired he is hopefuly old, meaning he is fortunately on the way out, with younger generations totally comfortable with a multi-racial NZ are on the way in.

Derek Mackie said...

Richard

It’s always great to get a reaction and I certainly got one from you.
That’s fine. We’re all entitled to our opinion, although you should try not to get personal.
Calling me untalented - that’s not a problem. But hoping I’m old so that I’m “fortunately on my way out” and accusing me of “crude racism”; now that’s bordering on offensive.

I also want to correct some of your clumsy misinterpretations.
You claim that my line “tribal rule is their perfect dream” refers to the “entire Maori race”. Do I say that? No, I don’t and that’s because it doesn’t. What it refers to is the Maori elite who are pushing co-governance. If you’ve read some of my other articles on a similar topic you will see this same meaning expressed.

You also imply that I’m not comfortable with a multi-racial NZ. Where does it say that in my blog? Nowhere, because I am.
What I’m not happy with is one ethnicity getting undemocratic control and power over everyone else.

As for the term “woke”. It’s used to succinctly encapsulate the social and political agenda pushed principally by the progressive Left and is employed by a multitude of writers on Breaking Views.
In fact, judging by your attitude to my use of the word and your association of it with “anyone who thinks differently to the untalented Mr Mackie” I can only assume that you are woke. And for that, you have my condolences.

anonymous said...

"Richard" appears unaware that many people of all ages - not just the young - are already very comfortable with a multi-racial NZ which has existed for many years.

In fact, to embed this satisfaction in law, many citizens would strongly support an immediate and legally binding referendum to affirm the equality of all NZers under the law.

Would "Richard " have any problem with this step to affirm our multi-racial and democratic society?