Chris Lynch chats to David Seymour about Environment Canterbury, Resource Management Act, Mana Whakahono ā Rohe agreement and more.
Click to view
One of the things we’ve learnt about climate change politics over the years is that their predictions are always wrong.
24 comments:
ACT really represents, in a big way the BEST future for NZ.
Assuming the coalition survives...the Nats (imo) have to revisit, in a considered fashion, their leadership. I accept Luxon is a 'nice chap',but he doesn't really cut the mustard, and also, psychologically seems to have been subsumed by the " Maori Wonderfulness "schtick.
As a medic, I, and all my Specialist colleagues are delighted that Simeon Brown 'dealt ' to the two agitators at the Medical Council effectively, thus slowing the egress of doctors to other 'saner' precincts!
Perhaps the Nats post election should install Brown as leader?
Seymour gets less than 8 percent of the vote. Kiwis don’t want the divisive USA imported culture wars that Seymour is selling.
Anonymous @11.22am - That's a strange argument. ACT doesn't need 50% of the vote to influence Government—that's not how MMP works. Every party's influence depends on the seats it brings to a coalition. As for "importing US culture wars", there's nothing American about asking whether New Zealand should have one law for all citizens, equal voting rights, and equal treatment before the law. Those are fundamental democratic principles, not imported slogans. If you disagree with them, explain why—but simply dismissing the debate as a "US culture war" avoids addressing the issues.
92% of the electorate disagrees that ACT is the way. Why do they get so much airtime? Special interest groups like ACT need to know their place in the sidelines, they shouldn’t be setting the direction for this country.
ACT wants 1 vote per person without any race involved.
Luxon wants multiple votes per Maori.
Winston ducks and dives, any you never know from day to day which way his wind blow.
Labour, TPM etc are inherently racist.
I know where my vote is going, and its not to National as usual.
Anon@ 11.44, perfect way to shut the left idiot (anon 11.22) up. The simple fact is that the left don't have the ability to think, they just listen to tvnz and Stuff. He won't have the cognitive ability to retort.
To anon at 12.15 same could be said for Greens, TPM and msm darlings Top.
Yes I hope with the help of Paul Henry Act does push its one law for all ideas. I am very hopeful we get a fair and equal country.
To anon 11.22 : It is Te Parti Maori, plus the greens and labour, that are advocating for a divisive society. Act wants everyone to be treated equally , that is not divisive
In case any readers do have a Herald subscription....an excellent opinion piece on ACT in Saturday Herald by Bruce Cotterill
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/why-paul-henrys-act-leap-is-good-for-politics-bruce-cotterill/premium/O675H6NLF5BPRC2XYCHDVP4WXU/
David would be a perfect pm- he’s consistent and stands by what he says - even years later. He listens to the questions being asked and answers them honestly - when he doesn’t know he says so.
He’s careful and never puts a foot wrong.
What could you possibly have against equal rights?
I like Chris Lynch Media. Straight down the middle. Definitely worth reading.
I’m with the 92%. No time for this marginal take.
Chris, i hope when you have Luxon on next time you pose the same RMA question to him,and don't accept his normal answer of 940 days 'that he get's it!!!
You said it for me Anon at 4.23 (for goodness' sake you people, use a pseudonym!) Seymour is NZ to the core - special interest group my foot! ACT is the best (only) hope for this country, Paul Henry or not.
"...the divisive USA imported culture wars that Seymour is selling."
It seems to me that you don't know anything about ACT's policies and achievements in the current term. Or anything about so-called US culture wars, come to that.
ACT is an advocate of democracy: you know, one person, one vote, no special arrangements of any sort for Maori. Sounds pretty good to me, which is why I'll be voting ACT again at the upcoming election.
Dessterre, I know a whole heap about the tactics ACT are employing. And I’m calling it out. It’s called democracy and freedom of expression. Seymour runs from journalists who ask real questions The man invented a ministry for ministries, for goodness sake! All the while supposedly being in favour of smaller government!
I’m proudly kiwi and proudly anti-culture wars. Real kiwis are like me. I don’t know where you’re coming from Desterre.
I suggest anon @407 gets their facts right . The public service is being reduced. Even the far left media acknowledge this.
If Desterre is a resident but not a citizen, this may be the last time s/he gets to vote. Thank goodness!
Someone has previously quoted "when special privileges become normalized, it is loudly proclaimed 'unfair' if those privileges are lost and everyone is treated the same". That is exactly what is happening here in NZ. Those who squeal about ACT policies being 'racist and divisive' are the ones losing their privileges. I say equal rules and rights for all citizens should be non negotiable. Would all these woke naysayers like to tell us why this shouldn't be? I would love to hear your reasons
Not only ECAN but all the local council agreements of similar nature should be made null and void
"If Desterre is a resident but not a citizen..."
Please preface any response to me by correctly spelling my nom. This is a courtesy I try always to extend to my interlocutors - when they're using a nom, that is.
I was born here. I'm an erstwhile Lefty, learned the Maori language to a fair degree of fluency 50-ish years ago, was once a supporter of the Treaty settlement process.
So long as the Maori electoral system continues to exist, this polity isn't a democracy, for all that it has a voting system. I hope for it to become a democracy in my lifetime. This is why I continue to vote for ACT. That party looks at this stage to be our best hope for getting rid of the racism which plagues NZ.
D'Esterre, agree completely. Dont worry about annnon@4.07. They are a sad sick lefty. Proud kiwis don't vote for division and racist policies. Real kiwis want one rule for all, to be united, to grow, less welfare which damages those on it. 4.07 is not a real kiwi as he suggests.
Anon@4.07: "I’m proudly kiwi and proudly anti-culture wars."
Whatever the "culture wars" are. But if you're proudly Kiwi, as you claim, it isn't clear to me why you'd object to colourblind, one-person-one-vote democracy, along with free speech. Those things are the cornerstone of a functioning democracy. Is there something about them which scares you?
"Real kiwis are like me."
Anti-democracy? Crikey! I hope not....
While I'm here, I agree with anon@8.23am: "Proud kiwis don't vote for division and racist policies. Real kiwis want one rule for all, to be united, to grow, less welfare which damages those on it." That's my view as well.
I guess that a certain number of citizens think it is fine for unelected councillors to be allowed to cast votes (rather than fill their original roles as advisors). Democracy doesn’t matter hmmm? Apathy may assist their cause. As the Greek philosopher Plato famously wrote, “One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors”.
Post a Comment
Thank you for joining the discussion. Breaking Views welcomes respectful contributions that enrich the debate. Please ensure your comments are not defamatory, derogatory or disruptive. We appreciate your cooperation.