Pages

Thursday, November 23, 2023

Kerre Woodham: I feel more positive than I have in years


Long coalition negotiations from the new about-to-be Government have seen a major economics consultancy downgrade its perception of New Zealand's political stability to its lowest rating in more than a decade.

BMI, not the body mass index, but a consultancy group owned by the Fitch Group and one of the three big ratings agencies, docked New Zealand a couple of points in its Short-Term Political Risk Index (STPRI), which measures the country's political stability. Because there's been far too much shagging around in their perception (my words, not theirs), when it comes to forming a new government.

The report said New Zealand’s score had decreased to 78.5 out of 100, down from 79.4, the lowest score the country has received since 2010. A lower score implies greater political risk.

Seriously, Fitch Group, I presume you're not based in New Zealand.

I presume you haven't been living here for a number of years because I don't know about you, and I would really, really like to find out, but even without a government I feel the country is more stable and positive than when we had one that had been elected in a landslide.

Talks are continuing, we should have a government by close of play tomorrow who can then get cracking and hopefully have a plan of attack by Christmas. And I don't feel unstable at all. I'd love to get a gauge on when you're at do you feel more positive about the future? And it certainly helps that we're out of the doldrums of winter and into warmer, sunnier days, there is no doubt that that improves the mood.

Because nothing has really changed tangibly since we had a Labour government. The hospitals are still stretched to capacity. It’s still so expensive to stock the pantry. Our roads are still in an appalling condition. The war in Ukraine goes on and the situation in Gaza is beyond unspeakable. Covid is ripping through the country. So really nothing much has changed, all of the problems that we had still exist both locally and internationally. And the new government hasn't even been established, far less been tested on its management of these different issues.

But far from feeling shaky or feeling that the country feels unstable and jittery and on edge, I just don't get that sense at all. I feel more positive than I have for many years. And I don't know if that's just because we don't have to hear of yet more tales of ineptitude, that we don't have to see money being squandered. The new government may well end up being inept and squander our money, as I say, they are as yet untested, but at least we don't have to report on it on a daily basis, because that was grinding my gears.

Maybe it's because we're not talking about stuff ups and wanton wastefulness, having a break from talking politics, perhaps.

Maybe it is simply as banal as it changing from winter to spring and summer, but I certainly feel far more positive with no government than I did with one elected in a landslide.

Kerre McIvor, is a journalist, radio presenter, author and columnist. Currently hosts the Kerre Woodham mornings show on Newstalk ZB - where this article was sourced.

3 comments:

Max Ritchie said...

Absolutely. The previous lot can no longer work their mischief. That’s a huge plus. And tomorrow we’ll get a team of ministers who actually know how to manage a government, with a whole lot of sensible policies. All good! Now just get on with it.

Anonymous said...


Because they must attack - otherwise credibility will vanish overnight ......

Robert Arthur said...

I have just severely mtrked BMI down in my ratings. Remenber all the rating agencies had the Americn banks high prior the GFC. Before the elction did they think that with looming maori control we were headed for stability?